Family Login:

Gertrude A. Martino

Pause Home and Hearth by Bruce H. Zimmerman (ASCAP)
Share This Obituary
Message from the Family

Thank you for your support during this difficult time. Please enhance this tribute to Mom by adding your memories and photos.


Arrangements made by

Joyce Funeral Home

245 Main Street
Waltham, MA 02453
Get Directions

Profile of Joyce Funeral Home

View Phone Number
View Fax Number

Send Flowers
flowers logo

Memories & Candles

“I loved her and I will always remember the good times we shared making cookies and her special spirit ”
1 of 1 | Posted by: Winter Moore - Temple, NH

Gertrude A. (Wilson) Martino, 95, of Ipswich, formerly of Chelmsford, Watertown, and Brighton, passed away January 14, 2020, after a brief illness. She was the devoted wife of John V. Martino, Sr. until his death in April, 2013, just two months shy of their 60th wedding

She was a loving and devoted mother to her son, John V. Martino, Jr., of Maynard, and daughter Phyllis M. Shaw of Ipswich and her husband, John M. Shaw, Jr., and adoring grandmother to David G. Shaw of South Boston, Regina C. Shaw of Natick, and Stephen P. Shaw of South Portland, ME.

Gert was born in Boston on June 27, 1924, to the late Thomas F. and Catherine V. (Donovan) Wilson. The second oldest of six children, she and her siblings – Dotty, Mary, Frank, Neil, and Paul – grew up in Roxbury with their mother during the Depression era. After attending St. Patrick's High School in Roxbury, she worked at several places including Walter Baker Chocolates in Lower Mills.

It was at a New Year's Eve party in 1950 where Trudy met Johnnie. They married in 1953, moved into his family's home on Nottinghill Road in Brighton, and soon welcomed John Jr. and Phyllis into their life. Several years later, they bought a home in Watertown where they lived for 31 years.

She was a meticulous homemaker, a watchful mother, and a helpful neighbor, and later enjoyed returning to work at a local data processing company. A mother to a son born with developmental delays and deaf was her cross to bear, and she always credited Richard Cardinal Cushing for his guidance and support. Gert and John were devoted to Johnny Jr.'s care and development while he lived at the Fernald School, and they visited him regularly and took him home on weekends and holidays. When the Fernald School closed, they advocated for him as he transitioned into a community group home.

In 1993, twin grandchildren, David and Gina, were born. Every day for six months, they lovingly provided in-home daycare for their bundles of joy. By the time their third grandchild, Stephen, arrived in 1995, the Shaws had moved to Chelmsford - and up came Gert and John daily for another six months, helping to care for and enjoy their three grandchildren. But driving that distance became less frequent and was becoming an obstacle to seeing them.

"My Gramma and Pa are moving to our house so they will live longer," announced Stephen to his kindergarten teacher in 2000. That's when they moved to Chelmsford.

Living with their grandchildren added many years to their lives. They were energized by being with the kids every day, seeing them off to school, greeting them off the bus, helping with their homework, and passing on the wisdom that only grandparents can do. It was three generations living together and supporting each other, a true blessing.

It was in the kitchen that Gert was at her best. Despite her diabetes, baking was her specialty, particularly her "Grandma cookies." She was just as adept at cooking meals that she often prepared for the entire family.

She was the biggest fan of David, Gina and Stephen, and regularly could be found at a soccer field, a cross-country course, a hockey rink, and at school events, never too tired to watch with pride and joy. And she was also always behind the scenes helping Phyllis and John with birthday parties and pasta dinners.

An avid Boston Bruins fan during the 1970s, Gert continued to watch and cheer for the team. She was also a faithful Red Sox fan who was thrilled that they finally broke the Curse. She took up painting in 2018 at age 94, going to the Ipswich Senior Center where she proudly created beautiful watercolor landscapes. She cherished being at home, and enjoyed the simple pleasures of daily living with the family dog, Tuukka, by her side. Her years were a gift to all who knew her and she will be dearly missed.

Gertrude was predeceased by sisters Dorothy Duffy of Newmarket, NH, and Mary Dichard of Pelham, NH, and brothers Neal F. Wilson, Sr. of Chelsea and Weymouth, Francis X. Wilson of South Boston, and Paul V. Wilson of Salem, NH.

She also is survived by her sisters-in-law, Dorothy Wilson, of Weymouth, Joan Wilson of South Boston, Rose Doherty and Isabel Martino of Wellesley, and Ruth Martino of Weston, brother-in-law Paul Martino and his wife, Roberta, of Plymouth, and many nieces and nephews.

She was laid to rest next to her beloved husband, John, at Calvary Cemetery in Waltham. Services were private. Donations can be made in her memory to Minuteman ARC, 35 Forest Ridge Rd, Concord, MA 01742.